RATIONALE FOR DONATING TO BALM INTERNATIONAL:
As stated in our mission statement;
“Living to model and promote, as far as possible, a balanced approach to life, in order to inspire and empower the less-privileged and under-served individuals and communities to live up to their full potential”
is the noble reason for you and me donating our time, money and other resources to make just a little difference.
As a non-profit organization with a mission to inspire and empower individuals and communities, we feel obligated and commissioned to provide some safe haven for our underprivileged and orphaned-teenagers – especially in the inner cities of the developed world, and the vulnerable unemployed rural youth in the developing world. These youth in the informal settlements, who often lack facilities, resources and guidance to help them engage in various income generating activities deserve better. Besides promoting their socio-economic status,our deliberate actions will enhance the emotional and physical well being, while sharpening the academic, vocational, and other essential life skills. These are necessary avenues through which we will prepare and empower these youth for success in their personal lives and in their communities.
Nairobi city, for instance, has earned herself, for a long time, a reputation of being a tough city with a good share of problems akin to many urban centers -especially the mega cities of the world. It is mostly bedeviled by too much crime, drug abuse, teen pregnancy and school drop outs. But, the good news is that, this is gradually changing due to the concerted efforts of all the stake holders of BALM and the likes. With the support of our highly esteemed conscientious and large-hearted individuals, BALM International is determined to play its proportionate share of roles, as a crucial agent of change and transformation among individuals and our communities.
Though still having a long way to go, we can pause to appreciate our little progress.
These days instead of seeing throngs of kids hanging out on street corners with nothing to do – but engage in illicit activities, you might see kids enjoying all sorts of gainful engagements, such as various sporting activities during evening hours and weekends. They jump and yell across the fields taking great pride in their well organized games – cordially shaking hands at the end of each match. All these are done within the paradigms of a balanced life style, where doing extraneous physical activity usually follows rigorous mental activities or vice versa,with the help of tutors and mentors sponsored by BALM international – incredible indeed.
There is therefore a growing need for programs , especially among the high-risk youth in low-income neighborhoods, that could provide adequate after school hours activities and support for children throughout the school term. Children and teens in poor neighborhoods often yearn for direction and opportunities, which could keep them safe and divert them from participating illicit activities such as use of narcotics, sniffing of petrol, and alcoholism. In short, teaching high-risk, inner-city youth the skills to become successful in life is our core top priority as an organization.
The four major components of our programs include:
- Supporting student in homework through tutoring, mentoring and use of computer labs
- Promoting total wellness through prevention of diseases, balanced diet,nutrition and healthful life-styles,
- Teaching of life skills as an integrated curriculum throughout all phases of the program,
- Involving the participation of both boys and girls in various physical fitness and mental activities such that they may become all-rounded responsible adults.
Our organization has been fortunate to have a team of able and dedicated volunteers, who are determined and willing to offer programs aimed at imparting multifaceted skills among the children, besides enhancing the conventional academic skills. The volunteers often play an active role in helping slow-learners complete their homework in order to keep pace with their class mates.These include helping students learn how to use computers, improve on their keyboarding skills and how to use the computers as research tools.
It is therefore our earnest appeal to all our well-wishers and all men and women of conscience, to compassionately support us as we continue to make our small difference in our small way. We will also sincerely seek your organization’s support as we address the serious financial bottle necks that have often slowed down our projected progress
1. In the process of sponsoring 4 talented orphans to Karora National High school, Thika technical and Gusii Institute of technology in Kenya.
2. In the course of constructing and developing residential centers of excellence and home for the orphans and professionals at Nyamira, Kisii and Kajiado counties in Kenya.
3. Planning to sponsor some professionals: specialized counselors, trainers/tutors, mentors, etc. and shipping of some appropriate equipment, materials, books, etc., to begin with the Voluntourism Initiative Concept, by Dec 27,2016 – January 28 2017.
4. To sponsor, as soon as funds are available, some vocational training, in Agribusiness, starting with good practices and ethics of successful business management. While embracing environmental sustainability ideals, we will help starting small business enterprises,as we identify and recruit especially talented orphans in special areas such as: sports, music,